Pilates is a series of exercises inspired by movements from callisthenics, yoga and ballet. Pilates works to balance, lengthen and stretch all the major muscle groups in the body. It improves flexibility, strength, balance and body awareness.
In your classes, the main focus is on three main elements – exercise, breathing and meditation. Our classes with Pilates PT, have a primary focus of strengthening, conditioning, and healing.
Pilates can be an aerobic and non-aerobic form of exercise. It requires concentration and focus because you move your body through precise ranges of motion. It requires concentration in finding a centre point to control your body through movement. Each exercise has a prescribed placement, rhythm and breathing pattern.
If you have any existing ailments it is recommended you always consult your doctor or contact us before embarking on any new fitness program, just to make sure pilates is the right thing for you!
Health benefits of Pilates
The health benefits of Pilates include:
- improved flexibility
- increased muscle strength and tone
- enhanced muscular control of your back and limbs
- improved stabilisation of your spine
- improved posture
- improved physical coordination and balance
- relaxation of your shoulders, neck and upper back
- safe rehabilitation of joint and spinal injuries
- prevention of musculoskeletal injuries
- increased lung capacity and circulation through deep breathing
- improved concentration, and much more!